Sunday, 18 September 2016

Iranian Cyclist Dies After A Crash At The Rio Paralympics

Iranian cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad was the first athlete to die at a Paralympics games following a crash in the men’s
C4/C5 road race at the Rio Paralympics , it was confirmed on Saturday.

Golbarnezhad, 48, from Shiraz, was treated at the scene of the accident before he suffered a cardiac arrest while being taken to a local hospital.

During a press conference, IPC president Sir Philip Craven: “I’ve just had it confirmed by Craig Spence (director of communications) that this is the first athlete death at a Paralympic Games.

“We will look into the report of this incident and decide what we need to do to prevent this from happening in the future.”

Craven insisted that Golbarnezhad was treated within minutes at the scene and that budget cuts did not play a part in his death.

“There were no cuts that affected this. The ambulance that attended, attended within two minutes,” Craven said.

“It had all the latest equipment on it and there was a doctor and a nurse present. Everything that was done was in order to save Bahman’s life.”

The road races began at Pontal and included the mountainous Grumari circuit incorporated in the Rio Olympics road races.

The Vista Chinesa circuit – which included a treacherous descent where Holland’s Annemiek van Vleuten crashed into the curb, sustaining heavy concussion – was not part of the Paralympic course.

Golbarnezhad was 14th in the time-trial on Wednesday and also competed at the London 2012 Paralympics. He was Iran’s sole cyclist at the Rio Games.

The Iran Paralympic committee said in a statement: “It is with deep sadness and regret that the International Paralympic Committee confirms the death of the Iranian Para cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad following an accident in this morning’s road race at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.

“Golbarnezhad, 48, was involved in a crash at around 10:40am on the first section of the Grumari loop, a mountainous stretch of the course.

“The athlete received treatment at the scene and was in the process of being taken to the athlete hospital when he suffered a cardiac arrest.

“The ambulance then diverted to the nearby Unimed Rio Hospital in Barra where he passed away soon after arrival.”

No comments:

Post a Comment